Wednesday 27 June 2007

Apocalypse. Tomorrow.


I'm summing up here, but check out Wiki for more...

Jehovah's Witnesses expected a visible and dramatic return of Christ in 1873. And then in 1874. Soon after the 1874 disappointment, they decided Christ had returned to the earth in 1874, but invisibly.

Then armageddon was going to occur in 1914. Then 1915. Then 1925. Right now it's imminent.

So. Not great on dates. There's also a cap on the number that can get into heaven. 144,000 apparently.

JWs disagree with blood transfusions. When parents refuse blood for their children, hospitals can ask the courts to intervene but there are cases where the child has died before the court order can be obtained. It seems statistics are hard to come by. From the JW memorial...

I refused to allow myself, or my son, to recieve blood. The hospital was to petition the court in the morning to allow treatment against my wishes, but my son died before it could be accomplished...
- Buck Parker was one day old when he died

At least the parents will still have a chance of being in the lucky 144,000. Apart from that culpable homicide bit.

No comments: